Friday, December 10, 2010

Up on the roof top...

So this time of year there are songs being sung about Santa, snow flurries and reindeer. So when i heard a noise in my attic I was some how hoping that i was possibly reindeer and Santa... but we all know that was not possible. 


So on day 2 of hearing these noises- that had grown to a beeping/crying noise, I googled critter control companies in Atlanta. When Critter Patrol met me at my house I was a little nervous (mostly thinking of how much money I was going to have to spend to get whatever critters out of my house). When I described the beeping/crying noise the nice critter guy told me that it sounded like the sound of attic critters mating. 


okay....... i will give you a few moments to stop freaking out. 


When he told me that.. i just had chills. I couldn't believe that critters might be up there-- reproducing!!


So.. when he opened up the attic door and pulled the stairs down (all the while I am peaking around a bedroom door just in case something fell or jumped out... we (ok.. he) didn't see anything. 


As he started up the stairs we heard the noise!! The guy laughed and pointed to the rotating vent on my roof....yes folks, all i had on hand was a squeaky vent that needs some WD-40. Oh how I felt silly-- but at the same time so relieved that I wasn't going to fork over $800+ this holiday season to remove furry critters. 


A few things that I learned... if you do have an attic:

  • critters don't leave as many droppings as they use to so you may not know if you have any critters up there!
  • Depending on your insulation there is a chance that you won't hear the critters walking up there
  • In order to be proactive, go ahead and put some traps up there yourself-- don't put poison up there, rather put peanut butter or something where the critter will get stuck on the trap. The last thing you want to happen is for the critter to eat the poison and end up dying in a not so visible place
  • oh--- invest in some latex gloves
this stuff is totally not fun to think about- but it is reality. 

Here's to hoping that if you hear something on your roof or in your attic that it is just Santa trying to deliver you some of your presents on your wish list and not a bag of coal :)

Happy Holidays!!

No comments:

Post a Comment